Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Getting back in the swing of things

I have a confession to make. I found it really difficult to get out the door and go running over the summer. I don’t know what it is about the summer that sometimes makes it difficult for me to run. Is is the hot weather? Is it because my mind is in vacation-mode? Is it because my daily routine is off-kilter?

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s that lackadaisical state we get into, a result of some of the reasons just mentioned. The heat, the vacations, the lack of daily routine. But I’m not alone. As a health & nutrition counselor, I see it all the time. Many people put off their health and weight loss goals until September. They make excuses as to why they can’t start a healthy regimen during the summer - they’re taking a trip, the kids are home from school or they just lack the motivation.

Come September, they realize they haven’t lost those extra pounds put on during vacation and oops! those Fall clothes are a bit snug. They decide to take some action and get their health back on track and contact me for some help. I outline a plan and schedule coaching sessions to assist them with their goals. I’m going to do the same with my running.

I’ve added running days and times into my calendar just as I would any other appointment. That’s how I have to look at it - an appointment. Just like a meeting with a client, friend, or business associate. I wouldn’t skip them and will do the same with myself. My scheduled running sessions are appointments with myself. Time set apart to help me live a better live. A way for me to get healthier, happier, and feel a sense of accomplishment. Why not do the same for yourself this September?

The weather is cooler, vacations are over, the kids are back to school, and daily routines are back in order. No more excuses. Give yourself the gift of health and get out there and running!

Happy running and healthy eating,

*Dinneen*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scheduling in a run ... I like that! Going to pencil some time in this week!