Thursday, August 7, 2008

Katie M. shares her love of running

Meet another runner who loves it--Katie M.

I {just}turn{ed} 27 and started running October of 2006. I have had asthma for as long as I can remember, and I never looked at myself as a runner…athletic, yes…runner, no! I used to make jokes that I only run when people are chasing me. I have a large bust and tried to use that as an excuse that it hurt my back to run. I was never seriously overweight, but was never skinny…a healthy size 12 since middle school. I tried to run in high school to get fit, but could not find the motivation to get me past the “I am going to die…really, my chest is closing and I have pain in my heart,” feeling. I played softball mostly (was a catcher) and worked through various knee injuries, like surgery, etc. that provided more excuses for me not to run.

I then started a program to learn how to eat better… I started to lose weight. I then ventured to the gym (knowing that you need both the right diet and exercise to get more fit) and thought maybe I will get on the treadmill and run until I can’t run any more. It helps that the gym had TVs in front of every treadmill! After 10 minutes, I was winded and sweaty…so I got off and lifted some weights…then the next time I was in the gym, I ran again…adding a little more time as a friend suggested. I started to lose more weight and became more fit…I could tell by the way my clothes fit, not the scale.

I started sleeping better at night and was generally more with it at work…I began to crave my runs. I finally understand what people mean by endorphins (I was convinced they were fabricated by the running industry.) I still (try to) run between 20-30 minutes five-times a week. I learned that I am not a distance runner and that I don’t have to be. It is hard to keep up the routine and I still go looking for my excuses when my boyfriend says, “why don’t you go for a run, it will make you feel better!” But, when I do remember the feeling and get back on the treadmill, I feel like I am back to normal…and I just keep telling myself that it is the old me that is chasing me, so keep running!

Katie M.


Do you love or hate running? We want to hear your story.

No comments: