Friday, August 1, 2008

The trials and tribulations of a 40 year-old woman's running experience!

Read Dinneen's post and be inspired by her enthusiasm!

I am a Health and Nutrition Counselor (aka. Health & Wellness Coach) and what I do is empower women with the tools to find a healthful relationship with food and their bodies, so they can gain control of their weight with a 'non-diet' mentality. Women today are so confused by all of the nutrition and diet info out there that they no longer know how, what, when or even why to eat. I teach them how to Eat Without Guilt, while still eating healthy and nourishing their bodies AND their minds.

I'm a big proponent of exercise (for both myself and my clients) and over many, many years have dallied with running - but never been able to make it a habit. I belong to a gym, keep in shape, and run here & there - but have not stuck to a regular regimen of running (at the gym I lift weights, use the elliptical machines, take classes, use the treadmill, etc).

This past June I turned 40 (gulp!) and decided once and for all to start running regularly. (there's just something about turning 40 for a woman...time to FINALLY get those lifelong goals into play!) I knew that in order to do that (run REGULARLY) I needed a GOAL - I feel setting goals is important whether it be for weight loss, to improve one's fitness, health, or even personal aspirations. So I took the plunge and registered for the Walt Disney World Half-Marathon taking place next January, 2009.

I've always wanted to run a full-marathon. So registering for a half-marathon is a way to get there. I'm realistic and know that it takes one step at a time, and what better way to eventually running a FULL marathon than first running a half-marathon.

Why have I always wanted to run a marathon?

1) to get into better shape (one can always improve...)
2) use it as an excuse to travel running various events (I enjoy traveling, have visited many places, and even lived in France for 5 years)
3) as a proud accomplishment (if I can finish a marathon, I can do anything!)
4) it's always been a goal of mine
5) I was born and raised a Bostonian - the Boston Marathon is in our blood...the late Johnny Kelley is a HERO here (I know, he's a hero to ALL runners, not just Bostonians!)

Yeah, I've always wanted to run a marathon but never took any ACTION so I could actually DO IT. Well now that has changed!

I will LOVE to log my progress and my training (which is just beginning), tell interesting & funny stories of my love/hate relationship with running, and motivate others to get out there and run (for body AND mind). And who would be better suited to tell their story on their quest than a 40 year-old Health & Wellness Coach who helps & inspires women to eat better, gain more self-confidence, and have a better body image.

Yes, that would be ME.

I invite you to visit my website: www.EatWithoutGuilt.com to learn more about me (read the "About Me" section) and what I do.

Warmly,
Dinneen

No comments: