Saturday, August 16, 2008

Guest Blogger Nicole gives back to Bay Area girls

Nicole has found a way to give back to young girls while incorporating her passion.

I have been a runner since I was 13 (currently 27). I have always enjoyed running, and believe there is a real value to not only your physical health but also to your mental health. Being a runner, gave me the confidence I needed as a teenager to get through all of the challenges one can face not only as a teenager, but also as a young woman who desired to succeed under very challenging circumstances. As an adult, I look back and wonder how different my life would have been without track or cross country. Since this was such a great benefit to me, I got involved with an organization that teaches girls about the importance of staying active, being a part of a team and building that self confidence at an early age to carry through the rest of her life. I am currently involved with Girls on the Run of the Bay Area and have taken a role as the events chair.

Girls on the Run is an after-school running program for girls that teaches the importance of exercise while also teaching them about empowerment, self-respect, friendship, teamwork, and goal setting. Many of the girls deal with death, violence, and other uncertainties in their communities every day.


Have you figured out a way for your passion to benefit others?

No comments: